The large flat saltpan with about 3 km diameter is an ideal airfield that provides excellent conditions to initiate outstanding glider flights.
- The directions for take-offs and landings is chosen exactly according to the wind direction - the right runway for each and any wind.
- Some runways are 3 km long.
- Simultaneous take-offs and landings are no problem.
- You choose your take-off time.
- No traffic jams if there are late landings.
- Concrete-topped runways adjacent to the pan guarantee safe operations during any weather.
Standard Approach: Because of blending sun it makes absolute sence to come from West to Bitterwasser PAN. If the wind situation is ok for that even to land on direction 09.
Short of sun set there is normally a lot of traffic and we make a safety and approved procedure vom West as follow.
- Fly a direct way from West into the main Windsock direction over the bushes
- over the Windsock report: "Short callsign for example PE, over the windsock for landing runway 09L"
- Altitude min. 1.700 Meter
- over Windsock make 90 degree turn to the left into the Hangar direction
- short behind Hangar make again 90 degree turn to the left into downwind and report: "PE, downwind 09L gear down and locked " - Altitude below 1.700 Meter to have a hight differentaition.
- fly straight until short of the Dune and again 90 degree turn to the left into base report: "PE, base runway 09L"
- do again a 90 degree turn into final and report: "PE, final runway 09L"
With this approach procedure you can also land and report for runway´s 09 Hangar, 09 PAN, 05 and 36.
Example Standard Approach for runway 36
Strong wind situation or low approach altitude etc. can be the reason for a varinace approach.
If you come from WEST and runway 23 is in use, than ask for direct downwind for runway 23 and make the approach like this:
Approach from EAST:
Variation Approach from East for landing on 05 appropriate for 09 and 36 - do not fly over the Windsack!
If you come from East ask for direct downwind 09 and do the approach like this:
Approach from EAST:
Variation Approach from East for landing on 23 - do not fly over the Windsack!
If you come from East ask for direct final 23 (report over the street) and do the approach like this:
Approach from South:
Variation Approach from South for landing on 23 - do not fly over the Windsack!