Make a dragon kite that lights up, flies and dances in the sky at night.
– 1 package of tissue paper
– 1 kite stencil (download here)
– 1 spool of kite string
– 1 package plastic foil gift wrap – any thin mylar foil works
– 20 x thin basswood strips (1/16” x 1/18” x24”) or 1 strip per kite
– 10 x 3V coin cell batteries or 1 battery for every other kite
– 10 x through hole LEDs, for example these white LEDs
– wood glue
– scotch tape
Now the kites are ready to fly!
It is helpful to test out the kites without the additional weight of lights. Fly the kites so that the face with wooden strips faces away from you. When flying on a windy day, let out one kite at a time, starting with the kite furthest from you. If there is less wind, have a friend help you hold the entire chain up off the ground and run to get the kites airborne. It’s really important that you make the kite as symmetrical as possible, to prevent spinning. If it does spin, it helps to make the tail longer, or add more tails add a longer tail.